Monday, February 11, 2013

Strange World

The other day I was told by a mate that he doesn't listen to a certain kind of (foreign) music because he doesn't understand the lyrics. I think it was his excuse for not liking hard rock or heavy metal. I did not wanted, and I did not ask for, an apologize simply because I do not care what music my mates love or hate (as long as it is quality music), and they don't have to listen to the same kind of music I am listening to.

Anyway, even so, if one wants to understand the lyrics prior to feel the sounds of music, well then, he/she needs poetry, not music. Music is a particular feeling, no matter if supported by lyrics or not. Great lyrics behind the music gives even more power to the music, but the sound is the one which creates the music, not the lyrics!

Listening to Iron Maiden's homonymous album (1980), the sounds of Strange World captured my attention. This song sounds very psychedelic to me. There is another song with a very similar approach on this album: Remember Tomorrow.

More than lyrics, when a song is linked to a good movie, the inner feeling is complete. Searching for an appropriate video for Strange World, I have found one with scenes from Ladyhawke.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment